Monday, June 29, 2015

Walk this Way

Recently, I have made it one of my fitness goals to run more. I have always been more of a walker, but it seemed like an easy way out. It was too easy to be a good workout, or so I thought, so I started trying to incorporate more run time into my walks.  I can run, or I can at least do some version of running... 


but I always end up wanting to walk. I sure hope that some people know where this picture is from and got a chuckle out of it. I even got new running shoes with high arch support and blah blah blah running terms blah blah blah.

Over a few weeks, I was up to 3-4 miles daily, which for me, is pretty good. I was pleased with my accomplishment, but I didn't like what my body was telling me. 
1. My joints hurt. My knees, ankles, hips, even lower back. Maybe I should blame it on form, or not sticking with it long enough, I don't know, but I do know that I did not enjoy the way my body felt during or after.
2. My thighs were growing. The muscle tone was nice, but I don't want hulk thighs.
3. Interestingly enough, my ab definition disappeared.

I went back to walking in addition to my Piyo and other various beach body work-outs. During one particularly long walk, I started paying attention to how I felt. I felt my core muscles working way more than they did when I was running. After changing back to all walking (still 3-4 miles per day), I am starting to see my thighs thin back out and my core definition is making a comeback. Now, I am not an expert trainer, I am merely telling you how I walk in order to tone my core. It works for me, of that I am sure. All you can do it give it a try.

Walk this way



Sorry, I couldn't help it.

1. Stand up straight

As a chorus teacher, I say these words every single day. They apply to singing posture, but applying them to my walking posture opens me up so that the core muscles have the space to move. Shoulders up, back and down, chin parallel to the floor, spine straight. As I am walking, I constantly remind myself of these posture corrections.

2. Strive to lengthen the size of your steps

This practice seems like it would target the leg muscles, but it's actually very much lower core.


3. Think about exaggerating hip rotation

The rotation of the hips is the huge basic difference between running and walking. When I run, I feel my hips squared forward, placing most of the tension on the leg muscles. When walking, I feel the hips rotating from side to side, engaging the entire core, especially the side obliques.

4. Breath deeply
Deep breathing is a core exercise in itself. When combine with the other core attributes of walking, thats a killer ab workout.

5. Stretch afterwards.
 I do cat/cow, runners lunge, and pigeon pose after my walk/workout.



So, get outside! Make up a route, download some podcasts. Take the dog, take the stroller. Enjoy nature, get a tan. Walk this way!




No comments:

Post a Comment